3 Best iOS apps to Identify & recognize music/song on iPhone / iPod / iPad
Many a times, we need to identify a song which we are currently listening to.. or may be a song which we know and want to recognize the song name which is currently playing, so that we can download it and add it to our music library, or may be to simply know the Singer Artist of the Song/Music. In all such scenarios we need to identify/ detect or recognise the song & music , following are 3 Best Free Music recognition apps for iOS which can recognise the currently playing songs easily!
App # 1 – Shazam for iOS – iPhone / iPad
Shazam is the leading app for music detection be it English, or regional songs. Shazam’s directory and ability to identify songs is the highest amongst all the apps we tried out for iOS. To recognise music using Shazam all you need to do is
1. Open Shazam app on your phone.
2. Tap on the “S” icon, which is above the “touch to Shazam” option.
3. Now place your iPhone/iPad microphone near the source playing music, Shazam will automatically record the beats and compare with its server’s music directory and Identify the song for you!.
Besides, these you can now also use your phone Camera to record videos and get your music detected by Shazam app.
Shazam requires a decent internet connection (WiFi/Cellular Data) for its working, so make sure you turn on the internet on your device before using Shazam!.
App # 2 – MusixMatch app (Music ID app for iOS – iPhone / iPad)
There was a direct competition between Soundcloud and MusixMatch to be the best alternative to Shazam, but MusixMatch simply races ahead due to some unique features which are absent in Shazam too!
- MusixMatch can not only detect the songs which you are hearing from an external source, but it also identifies the ones which are played from the Music .
- Not just music identification, MusixMatch even starts showing the lyrics in synchronisation with the Song Stanza! , so it even plays the lyrics of the detected songs for you , in addition to playing songs at the simultaneously (if you called it for device’s internal music library).
- For using the external sound recognize function of MusixMatch you need to select the “MusicID” option from the menu, as shown in the alongside screenshot.
- The rest of the procedure is similar to that of Shazam for identifying the currently played music/songs. ( You need to tap on the “butterfly” icon after selecting MusicID option to start recording (required for Song identification)).
Alongside, is an image result of test which we used to detect a regional bollywood song, it even started showing the lyrics in synchronisation with the external music song/source!. The only thing which kept MusixMatch after Shazam was that Shazam was able to recognize more music types and was quicker as compared to MusixMatch.
App # 3 – SoundHound
Ideally SoundHound can be classified as a ditto alternative to Shazam, with almost the same set of features as the latter. SoundHound is 3rd in our list because we faced a few glitches with it while trying to identify and detect local music through it., but SoundHound functions really well for English Music (Hollywood).
The procedure to use SoundHound is also similar to Shazam, and so it also requires an internet connection.
Tap the “S” button and place the device’s microphone near to the music playing source, to recognize the song on your iPhone or iPad device.
These are currently the best apps to recognize music/songs , we also tested a few others like “What the Song” (WTS),Genius, soundtracking but didn’t find them worthwhile to be added in this article. If you encounter any problems while using them, or know of any other such good app feel free to comment.