Transfer Files between Mac OS & Android over WiFi by Share It (Wireless File Sharing)
In the last article we showed How to Transfer files from Mac OS & Android MTP via USB , But its not possible to carry our USB cable all the time. So, In such cases we can share files from Android device to Mac OS even wirelessly! over WiFi. Sharing files between Mac OS & Android over WiFi doesn’t require any Internet or cellular data connection and is really fast using the Share It app. In this tutorial we will cover How to Transfer Files from Mac OS to Android or from Android to Mac OS X over WiFi by Share It app .
Pre – Requisites / Requirements –
- Share It app for Android should be installed on your Android device –
Click here to Download Share It App for Android from Google Play Store.
- Share It app for Mac OS X which should be installed on your Mac OS Machine –
Click here to Download Share It App from Mac OS App Store.
- Install Share It app on both devices.
We will divide our tutorial into two parts –
- How to Transfer Files & Documents from Mac OS X to Android over WiFi.
- How to Transfer Files & Documents from Android to Mac OS X over WiFi.
Part . 1 – Method to Transfer or Share files from Mac OS X to Android over WiFi by Share It-
Important – This method Requires both your Mac OS X & Android device to be connected to a common WiFi Network . The Common Network must not be coming from(hotspot) from either of the devices (Mac OS X or The Android Device) which are transferring files. We Recommend connecting both the devices to a 3rd Party WiFi Network e.x a WiFi Router , or a Hotspot created by a non-transfer involved Android Hotspot.
- Connect both the Sender (Mac OS X device) and Receiver (Android Device) to a common WiFi Network.
- Now First launch the Share It app on Mac OS X either through Applications folder or via the Launchpad. It will look as shown in the alongside image. (Do make sure you do not close / minimize the app) .
- During our tests the Scan & Connect option wasn’t visible on Android Phone, hence we did the following steps –
- Launch Share It app on Receiver Android Phone and now you will see “three vertical lines“ at the top right hand side , tap on it and select the Option “Connect to PC Option” as shown in the below image –
Tap on the “Connect to PC Option” , now it will give you a Radar view on your Android Device with your Mac Device name. Now tap on your “Mac Device name” in the radar view on the Share It android app as shown in the image below-
- Now, On your Mac OS Share It app it will ask you for permission to share files , Here tap on “OK” as shown in the below image –
Once you have clicked on OK button, it will now display you a connected screen as shown below –
- Now Open Finder app and select the files which you want to transfer to your Android device. Simply “Drag & Drop” files on to this ShareIt window! Your files will be successfully copied to your Android device as shown! –
- That’s it! Congratulations You have successfully transferred Files from Mac OS X to Android over WiFi.
Part . 2 – Transferring Files & Music from Android to Mac OS X via WiFi –
Transferring Files & Music from Android to Mac OS X again could be done via 2 Methods –
- Using ShareIt WebShare , ShareIt App required only on Android Sender. (Mac OS X Connected to the Android Sender HotSpot)
- Both Devices Required to be Connected to a 3rd Party WiFi (ShareIt App Required on Both Android Sender & Mac Receiver).
1 . ShareIt Webshare Method to Transfer Files from Android to Mac OS X
Note – Unlike the above method this method doesn’t require a 3rd party WiFi device , your Android device itself will act like a HotSpot WiFi and we need to connect to that WiFi on your Mac.
- Now, First open the Share It App on your Android Sender device. Click on the Vertical lines on the top right hand side and select the option “WebShare” .
- It will now open a viewer tab, here select the files which you want to transfer to Mac and tap on “Send” as show in the image below –
It will now show you the Procedure to be done on Mac OS X device as shown –
- Now on your Mac OS X , Connect to the WiFI network mentioned in the Android Share It app screen.
- After connecting to the mentioned HotSpot, Open any web browser Safari or Google Chrome on your Mac OS Machine.
- Now, Type in the URL / Link along with Port mentioned in the second step on ShareIt Android app.
- Here you will see all your content, which was shared via the app – Simply Click on the Download icon beside the app as shown below –
- Once you tap it the file will be downloaded or we can say successfully copied from your Android device to your Mac OS Device!!
Impportant Note – For Transferring Files from Android to Mac OS without Webshare method –
- Make sure that both Mac OS X & Android Sender device is connected to same 3rd Party WiFi.
- First Open the Share It app on Android device, and tap on “Send”.
- Now Open the Share It app on Mac OS X device.
- Again return to your Android device and Select the Files which you want to Share to Mac OS Device and after you’re done selecting the files tap on “Send”.
- You will see a radar view on the Android device, Tap on the Mac device name.
- Return to the Mac OS X Share It App to accept the files!
Cngratulations! You have now successfully shared files betwen your Mac OS X device and Android phone. If you face any problems or encounter any issues feel free to comment.