iPhone and iPad’s do not support external memory and recently i started facing some storage issues when i got too many apps installed on my devices, i wanted to keep a backup/copy of my apps such that i should be able to restore them whenever i needed them without downloading. Apple stores the apps as ipa packages here’s a tutorial on how to easily backup/extra app ipa from iPhone/iPad, so as installing them becomes easier without downloading,even if you uninstall them.
Tutorial to extract ipa file of an iPhone / iPad / iPod touch App –
- First of all i would like to say that this article is only for Mac OS X series and Windows 7/8/8.1/10 users. Currently i didn’t find any alternative for Linux users.
- The main pre-requisite for this tutorials is the iTools software , you can download it from the following links –
Click here to download iTools for Windows 7/8/8.1/10. (Completely portable app,no need of installation, just extract and run).
Click here to download iTools for Mac OS.
- Once you’ve downloaded and installed the iTools, the procedure is really quite easy!,Open the iTools application and connect your iPhone/iPad to your Computer/Mac.
- Here select the “Applications” tab as shown in the below image –
Now you’ll see all your installed applications on your device, simply click on the “Backup” button and select “Backup program and document” option.
- In the dialog box which opens up, specify the directory where in you want to save your ipa file and click on “Save”.
- That’s it, Now repeat the steps for all apps which you want to create a backup , now after backing up you can safely uninstall the apps without the fear of having it to download again for installation.
- Besides, back-up, iTools can also be used to browse app’s files and documents folder of iPhone/iPad iOS apps too!
Update – iTools v3 is available with iOS 9 Support! – Click here to Download iTools v3.0 English for iOS 9 + .